War Graves Page 8 (L-MD)

Chief Stoker PERCY WILLIAM LANGFORD, R.N. Formerly P/K 62050, Chief Stoker, Royal Navy. Age 46  Died 5.6.1947

Chief Stoker PERCY WILLIAM LANGFORD, Royal Navy, was the son of Henry Thomas and Faith Langford. He was the husband of Gertrude Maud. They lived at, No. 94, Shaftsbury Road, Gosport. He passed away on Tuesday 5th June 1947, at his home. The cause was as a result of injuries received during his war service. It is thought, that Percy Langford, was yet another of the former Japanese prisoners of war, who had to endure terrible treatment at the hands of their captors. Chief Stoker PERCY WILLIAM LANGFORD, was laid to rest on Thursday 7th June 1947, Plot 60 Space 14, and his final resting place is commemorated by CWG headstone.

Lieutenant JOHN BASIL ROBERT LANGLEY, R.A.F. Lieutenant, Royal Air Force   Age 29  Died 15.5.1918

Lieutenant JOHN BASIL ROBERT LANGLEY, Royal Air Force, was the son of the Reverend John Langley of North Wraxall Rectory, Wiltshire. He was husband to Lorna Leslie Langley, and their home was at ‘Sky’ Amesbury, Wiltshire. Joining the Army, at the outbreak of the war with Kaiser Willhem II’s Germany, he served with the 19th Alberta Dragoons (Canadian Contingent). He made numerous flights over the Western Front observing fall of artillery fire, for his enthusiasm of flying, he was posted back to Gosport for flying instruction, gaining his pilot’s wings.

With the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service, forming the Royal Air Force, he was one of the many who found themselves under a different regime. On the 15th of May 1918, aged 29, he took off in a Camel aeroplane, service No. B 847 from Fort Grange, Gosport, during the flight in which he was practising aerial combat, his plane entered a spin, from which it never recovered and plunged to the ground. Lt. Langley, was instantly killed by the impact, suffering a broken neck, leaving a widow, Lorna Leslie Langley and a young family, their home was at Amesbury, Wiltshire. Lieutenant JOHN BASIL ROBERT LANGLEY, R.A.F. was buried on the 19th of May 1918, and is laid to rest, Plot 50 Grave 93, a CWG headstone commemorates him.

Sapper  JAMES LAUGHLAND, R.E. 519422, Sapper, 406th Field Company, Royal Engineers.  Age 27  Died 24.6.1918

Sapper JAMES LAUGHLAND, Royal Engineers, was serving in France. He was one of those tasked with designing and digging the tunnel mines which the allied forces, were excavating. The purpose was to burrow deep under the German front lines, place huge quantities of high explosive underneath the lines, and explode the charge from the safety of their own lines, thus killing or burying the enemy forces, and providing a diversion for a frontal attack across ‘no man’s land’. The point of the exercise was to break the stalemate of the ‘trench warfare’. Sapper Laughland was taken ill, due the terrible conditions under which he was working. He was brought back by hospital ship, to Netley Hospital, where the ships could moor alongside, in Southampton Water, at a specially built pier at the front of the hospital.

His condition worsened and he developed double pneumonia, shortly afterwards he passed away on the 24th June 1918. Sapper JAMES LAUGHLAND, R.E., was brought back to Gosport, where he was buried on the 26th of that month, he is laid to rest, Plot 17b (old cemetery plot) Space 13/15 (large family plot), and is commemorated by a Family Memorial.

Gunner EDWARD AUSTIN LAWLER, R.N.  Gunner, Royal Navy, HMS Strenuous.  Age 39   Died 30.3.1920

Gunner EDWARD AUSTIN LAWLER, Royal Navy, was the son of Edward and Emma Lawler of Gosport. He was the husband of Florence Edith, and they lived at Greenfield House, No. 6 Chapel Row, Gosport. He was serving aboard His Majesties Ship, Strenuous, which was at the time been making a courtesy visit to Sweden, and was anchored in Copenhagen Harbour. Gunner Lawler was onboard the ship, On the 30th of March 1920, he collapsed and complained of pains in his chest, he was taken to the General Hospital, Copenhagen, where he quickly died. No report as to the cause can be found, but it is strongly believed he died of a heart attack, brought on by over exertion (he had just finished rearming the shell magazine for his gun). As the ship was returning to this Country, his body was returned to his hometown. Gunner EDWARD AUSTIN LAWLER, R.N. was buried on the 7th of April 1920, he is laid to rest, Plot 52 Space 29, and is commemorated by a Family Memorial.

Ordinary Seaman FREDERICK ARTHUR LAWRENCE, R.N. P/JX 383302, Ordinary Seaman, Royal Navy.  Age 20  Died 21.4.1944

Ordinary Seaman FREDERICK ARTHUR LAWRENCE, Royal Navy, was the son of George Ernest and Emily Louisa Lawrence of Gosport. He passed away in a neighbour’s home in Vernon Road, Gosport. The cause was not given, but it is thought to have been due to natural causes, at the tragically young age of 20 years old. It is sad to note that his father, who was in tremendous pain, took his own life, almost exactly three years to the day his son died.

Seaman FREDERICK ARTHUR LAWRENCE, RN, was buried on Monday 24th April 1944, and is laid to rest, Plot 146 Space 53, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Private CHARLES EDWARD LAZARUS  Formerly 1453791, Private, King’s Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster).  Age 23   Died 18.10.1942

Private CHARLES EDWARD LAZARUS, was the son of Edward and Rose Sarah Lazarus. He was the husband of Lillian Frances, and they lived at No.26, Stoke Road, Gosport. He had been medically discharged from the King’s Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster), after contracting tuberculosis. He passed away at his home on Sunday 18th October 1942. Again it would seem that the onset of winter, was the chief reason for demise.

Private CHARLES EDWARD LAZARUS, was buried on Thursday 22nd October 1942, he is laid to rest, Plot 164 Space 75, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Captain JAMES LEACH, R.A. Captain, Royal Artillery.  Age 54       Died 28.2.1920

Captain JAMES LEACH, Royal Field Artillery, was married to Maude Alice, she was 37 years of age. They had a son, Geoffrey, who was 3 years of age. On the 28th February 1920, they all died. The reason is not known, but would definitely indicate, a tragic accident.

Captain JAMES LEACH, R.F.A., his wife Maude Alice and son Geoffrey, were buried on the 2nd March 1920. They are laid to rest, Plot 69 Space 50, and are commemorated by a Family Memorial.

Mr WILLIAM CHARLES LEACH  Skilled Labourer  Age 54          Died 24.8.1940

Mr WILLIAM CHARLES LEACH, was 54 years of age, he worked in Portsmouth Dockyard, which was frequently bombed by the German Air Force. At this early stage of the bombing campaign, and with desperately needed new ships being hurriedly built, the men worked at their jobs until it was obvious that the Dockyard would be a main target.

It was on Saturday 24th August 1940, that enemy aircraft were being detected by RADAR, taking off from their various bases, in Northern France. Owing to the weather conditions prevailing for the previous week or so, these aircraft had been forced to stay on the ground. On this day with good weather, all was set for a big raid. Over one hundred raiders complete with fighter cover above them as they approached the Portsmouth area. RAF fighters from 238 and 609 Squadrons, were scrambled to intercept them. They sighted each other off the Isle of Wight, some of the enemy bombers managed to get through and attacked the Dockyard, this was a heavy raid, but fortunately the early warning had allowed personnel to take to the air raid shelters. Unfortunately the shelter in which Mr Leach had taken cover in, received a near miss, but the explosion sucked all the air out of the shelter. After the raid rescuers entered to find people sitting up, and dead, they had been suffocated by lack of air!

Mr WILLIAM CHARLES LEACH was buried on Wednesday 28th August 1940, Plot 33 Space 11, and is commemorated by a Civilian War Grave headstone.

Petty Officer LEONARD WILLIAM JAMES LEE, R.N. C/NX 2268, Canteen Manager, of L.S.T. No. 305   Age 21   Died 11.5.1944

Petty Officer LEONARD WILLIAM JAMES LEE, R.N., was the son of Richard Frederick and Lily Kathleen Lee, who lived at, No.41, Cobden Street, Gosport. He was the manager of the Canteen, aboard Landing Ship Tank No. 305. She was American built, and made available through the ‘Lend-Lease’ agreement. Her tonnage was 2,750 tons, 327 feet in length, and powered by two diesel motors, and had a speed of 10 knots. Armament consisted of a 12-pounder anti aircraft and six 20mm guns. She carried a complement of 86 Officers and ratings.

On Saturday 22nd January 1944, the allied forces made were mounting a large-scale amphibious landing at Anzio, Italy, and were fiercely opposed by the Germans. It would not be until May 23rd, that allied troops were able to break out from the beachheads. The need for re-supply and bring reinforcements was critical, and it was in this role that His Majesties L.S.T. No. 305 was off Anzio on Sunday 20th February 1944. She was attacked by an E-Boat, badly damaged and drifting, she was taken in tow, and was making for the allied base at Naples. During this voyage, she was spotted by the German submarine U-230, which torpedoed her. L.S.T. No. 305 quickly took on a list to port, and it was realised she was going to capsize, her crew were taken off, and shortly after the ship did capsize and sink.

Petty Officer Lee, was amongst the casualties brought back to Bristol Royal Naval Auxiliary Hospital, sadly he passed away on Thursday 11th May 1944, and at the request of relatives, his body was brought back to Gosport. Petty Officer LEONARD WILLIAM JAMES LEE, R.N., was buried on Wednesday 17th August 1944, he was laid to rest, Plot 7 Space 6, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Corporal DOUGLAS JOHN LE MASURIER, R.A.F. 512292, Corporal, Royal Air Force.  Age 24   Died 23.1.1943

Corporal DOUGLAS JOHN LE MASURIER, Royal Air Force, was 24 years of age when he lost his life, whilst serving aboard a Royal Air Force pinnace, service no. 1289. On Saturday 23rd January 1943, the vessel, one of No. 30 Air Sea Rescue Marine Unit, was patrolling some 15 miles south of the Isle of Wight. Two German fighter aircraft roaming the English Channel spotted the rescue vessel. Within seconds, the craft was under attack by the fighters, (thought later to be Focke Wulf 190’s). During the attack Cpl. Le Masurier, the coxswain, was hit by cannon fire from the strafing attackers and died shortly after. Other members of the crew were wounded in following attacks. Taking on water through the damage inflicted below the waterline, the vessel was in a serious situation, stopping up the holes as best they could, they made for land. Finally making landfall after an anxious dash for shore. Records show that the only fatal casualty that day was Cpl Le Masurier, the others recovered from their wounds.

Corporal DOUGLAS JOHN LE MASURIER, Royal Air Force, was buried on Wednesday 27th January 1943; he was laid to rest in the War Graves section (see plans on the back pages), Row 4 Grave 6, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Mrs DAISY LEWIS  56 Avenue Road, Gosport  Age 29  Died 10.3.1941 SEE – Mrs WILLIAM BURRIDGE

Sergeant CHARLES HENRY FREDERICK LEWRY, A.F.M., R.A.F.313806, Sergeant, Air Force Medal, Royal Air Force. Age 26              Died 15.7.1919

Sergeant CHARLES HENRY FREDERICK LEWRY, Air Force Medal, Royal Air Force, was killed when the Airship N.S. 11, caught fire and crashed into the North Sea off the East Coast on the 15th of July 1919. The airship had taken off from Pulham Airship Base, Norfolk; en route for Kingsnorth Airship Base, near Ashford, Kent, the crash cost the lives of all of the crew.

Sgt. Lewry, joined the Royal Navy as a boy of 16, during 1915 he transferred to the newly formed Royal Naval Air Service, upon the amalgamation of the R.N.A.S. with the Royal Flying Corps, he was accepted into the new service the Royal Air Force. He saw service with the Grand Fleet on North Sea patrols aboard the early airships. He was awarded the Air Force Medal for his part in a World record breaking endurance flight in February 1919 of which he was one of the crew, the airship flight being under the command of Major Warneford, and which lasted 100 hours 50 minutes. So far as is known, Sergeant Lewry’s body, was the only one to be recovered. He was washed ashore on Cromer Beach, Norfolk, 16 days after the airship crashed. He was believed to have been Steering the airship in the forepart of the car at the outbreak of the fire, the cause of which was proved by scorching on the clothing of Sgt. Lewry’s body. The cause of which was unknown. He was serving as 2nd coxswain, and was onboard to qualify for promotion to Warrant Officer. The inquest felt that his body was probably released when the airship broke in two thus splitting the car apart. It was also surmised that the weight of the engines would have dragged the airship to the seabed, probably trapping the bodies of the remainder of the crew. The inquest recorded a verdict that Sgt. Lewry was found dead on the beach after being washed ashore from the wrecked airship.

Sergeant CHARLES HENRY FREDERICK LEWRY AFM, RAF, was buried on Tuesday 15th July 1919, and is laid to rest in the old burial ground (same side of the road as the cemetery office), Plot 15a Space 79 and is commemorated by a Family Memorial.

Lieutenant JOHN MOUNTFIELD LIDDLE, R.A. 2nd Lieutenant, No.1 Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery  Age 29  Died 28.10.1940

Educated in Gosport, his former home was in Privett Road, Alverstoke, Lieutenant JOHN MOUNTFIELD LIDDLE Royal Artillery, was the eldest son of John Alfred and Henrietta Liddle. He was married to Joan Lidddle of Corfe Mullen, Dorsetshire. On leaving school he chose to make banking his career, and was employed Lloyds, and was at the Palmerston Road, Southsea, branch. When war broke out, he joined up, before the war was declared, Lt. Liddle was attached to Gosport Territorial anti aircraft battery, and had been an active member of the St. Swithin’s Lodge of Freemasons.

He was posted to France soon after the outbreak of hostilities, and fought with the British Expeditionary Force, in the strenuous rearguard action, that ended in the miraculous evacuation of over a third of a million allied soldiers at Dunkirk. With the Battle of Britain won, Germany turned its attention and might of the Luftwaffe, on the large cities of the nation. With the intention of breaking the morale of the people of this country, by virtually bombing them into submission. The Blitz of London had started in earnest, with nightly bombing raids. The Royal Artillery was charged with its defence. And for that purpose, a ring of anti aircraft batteries, were set up around the Capitol’s perimeter. One of these units, was based at Child’s Hill, Cricklewood, London. On the night of Monday 21st October 1940, during a particularly heavy raid, bombs were dropped, one of which, landed in the middle of the gun site, killing many of the battery crew, including Lt. Little, and seriously injuring others.

Lieutenant JOHN MOUNTFIELD LIDDLE, R.A., was returned to Gosport, the home he loved, and was buried on Monday 28th October 1940, in the War Graves Section, Row 1 Grave 8, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone. On that headstone is the epitaph “Fell Defending London”, and that is exactly what he did. He gave his life in defence of his country, on active service.

Private ALBERT EDWARD LINE 37809, 13th Battalion, Devonshire Regiment.  Age 40  Died 6.12.1916

Private ALBERT EDWARD LINE came from the Gosport area. Although a lot of the details are not known. He was serving with the 13th Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment, and was based at ‘Nerdle Camp’ at St. Stephen’s, Saltash, Cornwall. He died on the 6th of December 1916; the cause was thought to be pneumonia. The body of Private ALBERT EDWARD LINE was returned to Gosport, where he was buried on the 12th of December 1916. He is laid to rest, Plot 50 Space 83, and a CWG headstone commemorates him.

Corporal LAWRENCE ROY LITTLE, R.A.S.C. 130324, Corporal, Royal Army Service Corps.  Age 23  Killed 13.5.1941

Corporal LAURENCE ROY LITTLE, of the Royal Army Service Corps. Was the only child of Laurence Puxley Little and Beatrice Daisy Little, who lived at No.41, Cambridge Road, Gosport. He was the husband of Patricia Mary Little, and lived in Gosport. He was 23years old. He joined the 8th (R.A.F.) Troop of Scouts, whilst his father, then a Warrant Officer, was serving at Fort Grange. Keen on sport, he was a clever boxer and an excellent swimmer. In the boxing ring, he represented Gosport in many of the Inter Scout Association tournaments. And in more recent years, he gave valuable assistance to the Gosport Boys Club. A member of Gosport Swimming Club, he was a regular goalkeeper for the Club’s water polo team. He was also an old Gosportonian.

Corporal Little, who had married only six-weeks before, was killed whilst on duty, as the Corporal in charge of convoy’s, with the R.A.S.C. near Ashford, Kent. During which, he received fatal injuries when the motor cycle he was riding, was in a collision with an Army lorry. Later he died of his injuries, after having been admitted to Ashford Hospital, Kent.

Corporal LAURENCE ROY LITTLE, R.A.S.C., was buried on Saturday 17th May 1941, the service being conducted by the Vicar of St. John the Baptist Church, Forton, the Reverend Canon, O’Gorman Power, he is laid to rest, Plot 42 Space 41, and is commemorated by a Family Memorial headstone.

Q.S.M., ROBERT McINTOSH 3528, Quarter Sergeant Major, Depot Battalion, King’s Liverpool Regiment.  Age 44  Died 25.9.1914

Quarter Sergeant Major ROBERT McINTOSH served with the Depot Battalion, of the King’s Liverpool Regiment. He was the son of Robert, and he had married Flora Isabella, and they lived at No. 5 Little Britain Street, Portsea, Portsmouth. Q.S.M. McIntosh had served in the Army since he was a lad; he had been stationed in the Portsmouth area for some years, as is noted from his married quarter’s address in Portsea. He had prior to his death, been suffering from bad health, and because of this he had been admitted to the Queen Alexandria Military Hospital, Cosham, where he was diagnosed as having a heart condition. Graded as medically unfit for further military service, it was decided that he be honourably discharged from the army as a pensioner. Whilst undergoing the process of discharge, he was drafted to the No. 2 Medical Discharge Unit Depot, at Fort Brockhurst, Gosport. On the 25th of September 1914, he suffered heart failure and died.

Quarter Sergeant Major ROBERT McINTOSH was buried on the 29th September 1914, and is laid to rest, Plot 109 Space 56, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Captain IVAN EMILIO MARIO MacKENZIE, R.F.C. Captain, Royal Flying Corps.  Age 27  Died 12.10.1917

Captain IVAN EMILIO MARIO MacKENZIE R.F.C. was born in Genoa, Italy, the son of Evan and Margaret Tenison MacKenzie of 15, Via Cesare Cabella, Genoa, Italy. He qualified as a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps. With plenty of experience, he became one of the Chief Flying Instructor’s at the School of Special Flying, based at Fort Grange Aerodrome, Gosport.

On the 12th of October 1917 Captain MacKenzie, aged 28, took off in an Avro 504J aeroplane service no B3171. He was accompanied by Captain Andre Gerbe aged 33, of the French Flying Service. Captain Gerbe was in this Country to observe the new training methods adopted at the School of Special Flying based at Grange Aerodrome. The flight was to have been a demonstration of the aircraft’s abilities. The aeroplane climbed to a height of about 1,000-feet, upon reaching that height, Captain Mackenzie began a series of aerobatics manoeuvres. 15 minutes into the flight, observers on the ground watched as the machine commenced to make a spinning nosedive, from which the aeroplane never pulled out of and the machine crashed.

Evidence at the subsequent inquest revealed that Captain MacKenzie and Captain Gerbe were indeed expert pilots. Assistance was rushed to the scene of the crash. Both officers were unconscious on being extricated from the machine, but died soon after admission to the Royal Naval Hospital at Haslar, as a result of shock and multiple injuries. In the opinion of a Flying Corps officer, the pilot made an error of judgement, in not having corrected the spin when at a sufficient height to do so. A verdict of accidental death was recorded.

Captain IVAN EMILIO MARIO MacKENZIE, R.F.C., was buried on the 16th of October 1917, and is laid to rest, Plot 59 Space 53, and is commemorated by a Family Memorial. Captain Gerbe was returned to France where he was buried.

Lieutenant LEE THOMPSON McLAUGHLIN, R.F.C. 4th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment, attached to the Royal Flying Corps.  Age 23  Died 19.4.1917

Lieutenant LEE THOMPSON McLAUGHLIN, Royal Flying Corps, joined the Army at the beginning of the 14-18 War, serving in the 4th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment as a Lieutenant, he saw action on the Western Front, being recommended for a course in flying, He was posted back to Gosport, where he was attached to the Royal Flying Corps. Qualifying for his pilot’s wings, he was placed on the pilot strength of the 59th Reserve Squadron, taking the opportunity to gain as much air experience as possible. The young officer had been attached to the Corps for only about a month for instructional purposes; he had had previous flying experience, and had passed through all his flying tests, except those of night flying.

On the 19th of April 1917 he took off from the Fort Rowner base in a DH1A monoplane service no. A1627. At about 3.00pm that Thursday afternoon, he was practising his combat technique. After he had reached an altitude of between 300 – 400 feet. It was observed that the machine was in difficulties after spinning around in a flat spin, the machine nose-dived onto the aerodrome. The fuel aboard the aeroplane ignited and Lt. McLaughlin was burned about the head. He was rushed to a sick ward at nearby Fort Rowner, but died about half an hour later. The cause of the mishap to the machine has not been ascertained. The medical evidence showed that death was due to injuries to the head. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

Lieutenant LEE THOMPSON McLAUGHLIN, R.F.C., was buried on 24th April 1917, and is laid to rest, Plot 29 Space 67, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Mr AUSTYN MALONE 19 Gordon Road, Gosport.  Age 24              Died 10.3.1941   –   SEE – Mr WILLIAM BURRIDGE

Constable HENRY ROBERT MALONEY, R.M.P. Formerly, RMP/612, Royal Military Police Constable.  Age 63  Died 27.10.1947

Constable HENRY ROBERT MALONEY, Royal Military Police, was the son of William Henry and Eliza Emily Maloney. He was also the husband of Rosina Hannah, and who died at his home, No. 10 Grayshott Road, Gosport, on Monday 27th October 1947, as a result of causes attributable to his war service. Mr Maloney was at the time of his death working as a labourer. Like so many others, it should be noted that he served in the 1914-18 war.

(Former) Constable HENRY ROBERT MALONEY, R.M.P., was buried on Friday 31st October 1947, and is laid to rest, Plot 8 Space 18, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Private JOHN MARCHANT, R.M.L.I. PO/14420, Private, Royal Marine Light Infantry.  Age unknown  Died 12.1.1919

Private JOHN MARCHANT, Royal Marine Light Infantry. Very little is known about Private Marchant, we know he died on the 12th of January 1919, it is thought as a result of contracting the ‘Spanish Flu’ epidemic, which raged throughout war torn Europe. And, which swept through the Royal Marine’s Barrack’s Gosport (St. Vincent School). Somewhere in the region of a million people died after becoming infected. Private JOHN MARCHANT, R.M.L.I., was laid to rest two days later, Plot 39 Space 42, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Lance Corporal JACK MARSDEN 14400746, Lance Corporal, East Yorkshire Regiment, 50th Division (Northumberland), XXX Corps. Age 20 Died 8.6.1944

Lance Corporal JACK MARSDEN, was the son of Mr and Mrs Charles Henry Marsden, and came from Leeds, Yorkshire. He was part of the first wave of infantry to land on the ‘Gold Beaches’ on Tuesday 6th June 1944. They were tasked with securing the beachhead, by knocking out the numerous fortified pillboxes and strongholds of the German defenders. It was during this action, that the British suffered the heaviest casualties of that day. Lance Corporal Marsden led his men, in an attempt to neutralise a machine gun nest, which had been pinning down many of the men on the beach. They managed to get to within throwing distance of the position, when he was hit by sniper fire, badly wounded, he saw his men accomplish their task, and the gun and crew were silenced. By now Lance Corporal Marsden, had lost a lot of blood, barely conscious, he was taken back onto a hospital ship waiting off shore, where he underwent emergency surgery. On Thursday 8th June , he died of his wounds.

Lance Corporal JACK MARSDEN was buried in the War Graves Section (see plan on back pages), and laid to rest, Row 1 Grave 16, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Private, ALBERT EDWARD MARSHALL 25618, Private, 15th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment.  Age 20   Died 5.12.1916

Private ALBERT EDWARD MARSHALL, was the son of David W. and Bessie E. Marshall, of No. 47 Tintern Road, Gosport. He was serving with the 15th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment. He was badly wounded in action in France during the ‘Big Push’ offensives of the autumn of 1916. He was in one of the regiments, who were deployed to the front line just as a twenty-four hour bombardment took place, at the end of which, at dawn, officers told their men, “After that bombardment lads, you will find no German opposition. Nothing could have survived that lot. You can walk across ‘no man’s land towards the enemy trenches”. The result, one of the worst slaughtering of human beings took place. The place – the Somme.

Private Marshall was badly wounded after having made less than 20 yards from his trench. At nightfall, very brave men – stretcher-bearers crawled out into ‘no man’s land’ to retrieve those still alive but wounded. Private Marshall was one of such men. He was taken to a casualty clearing station. These casualty clearing station’s, were little more in most cases, than a ruined building or makeshift shed. Emergency treatment allowed him to be taken by ambulance to the back of the allied rear lines, where he was operated on. Barely hanging on to life, it was imperative that he, and the others like him, was brought back to this country for proper surgical and medical treatment.

Private Marshall was taken to the Southern General Hospital, Westbury-on-Tyne. Despite all that could be done for him, his condition slowly deteriorated, until on the 5th December 1916, he quietly passed away, due to complications attributed to his wounds. Private ALBERT EDWARD MARSHALL’s body was returned to Gosport his hometown, where he was buried on the 11th of December 1916. He is laid to rest, Plot 48 Space 89, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Officer’s Cook ARTHUR KENNETH MARTIN,R.N. L/2135, Officer’s Cook 1st Class, Royal Navy.  Age 26  Died 21.9.1918              SEE – Master at Arms, FREDERICK WILLIAM ANDREWS, R.N.

Air Mechanic JAMES HERBERT MARTIN, R.F.C.  12299, Air Mechanic James Hubert Martin, No. 28 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. Age 23   Died 11.3.1916

Air Mechanic JAMES HERBERT MARTIN, of No. 28 Squadron, R.F.C. Joined the Royal Flying Corps on its formation. He trained as an air mechanic, quickly becoming respected by men and officers alike. He liked nothing better than the opportunity to fly, which was one of the reasons he joined the service. On the afternoon of Saturday the 11th of March 1916, he made a flight with Captain George Crosfield Norris Nicholson, the son of Baron, Sir Charles Nicholson, and Member of Parliament. Captain Nicholson had been educated at Eton and Clare College, Cambridge, and had been appointed Assistant Private Secretary to the Admiralty in 1907. A year later he was seconded to the War Office to become the Private Secretary of Colonel Seely, and further promoted to Principal Private Secretary when the Colonel was made Secretary of State for War in 1912. Capt. Nicholson had already stood unsuccessfully for the House of Commons. Captain Nicholson volunteered for the R.F.C. at the outbreak of war with Germany in 1914, rapidly becoming a proficient pilot.

On the day in question, along with his mechanic James H. Martin, they took-off from Grange Aerodrome in a Fe2b, service No. 6362, and were soon flying at an altitude of some 4,000 feet. Observers on the ground watched as the machine made a ‘S’ turn on a downward glide, upon reaching a height of 250 feet the aeroplane was seen to bank steeply to left reaching an angle of about 60 degrees, at this the machine side-slipped and plunged to the ground. The Medical Officer, Surgeon J.N. Glen, rushed to the scene. He found both men dying in the mangled remains of the machine; both had suffered extensively fractured skulls. They were taken to the Royal Naval Hospital at Haslar. Captain Nicholson was found to be dead on arrival, Air Mechanic Martin, died within an hour of being admitted. An inquest recorded a verdict of accidental death in both cases. Captain G.C.N. Nicholson was taken to his hometown of Croydon, Surrey, for burial.

Air Mechanic JAMES HUBERT MARTIN, R.F.C., was buried on Tuesday 14th March 1916, and is laid to rest, Plot 132 Space 62. A CWG headstone commemorates him.

Chief Petty Officer RICHARD MASSEY, R.N. PO/308838, Chief Petty Officer, Royal Navy, HMS Acasta.  Age 35   Died 31.5.1916

Chief Petty Officer Stoker RICHARD MASSEY, Royal Navy, was the husband of Edith Ethel Massey, and they lived at No. 4 Shaftesbury Road, Gosport. He was serving onboard HMS Acasta, which was part of the 4th Destroyer Flotilla. This flotilla was part of the submarine screen for the defence of the British Grand Fleet. On the 31st May 1916, during what became known as the ‘Battle of Jutland’, after the geographical place where the battle took place off of, HMS Acasta, took on the on the German Lutzow during which the G 41 fired a torpedo at her from 500 yards distance, fortunately missing. In taking avoiding action Acasta, was hit by two 5.9-inch shells fired by the Derfflinger, HMS Acasta had just managed to fire a torpedo at the Lutzow from 4,500 yards range but just missed.

The two 5.9 inch shells, hit the engine-room, it was in this incident, that C.P.O. Massey was killed, when the two shells exploded. The resulting fire in the engine-room, resulted in a billowing smoke screen being created. It was under this camouflage, that HMS Acasta managed to break off the engagement and withdraw. She was badly crippled and had to stop for six hours to make emergency repairs. HMS Acasta broke down during the night, on the way back to the nearest port, and had to be taken in tow by HMS Nonsuch, who brought her back into the Humber Estuary, arriving on the 1st June.

During the battle, HMS Acasta suffered six men killed and one wounded. Chief Petty Officer, Stoker, RICHARD MASSEY’s body was returned to Gosport. Where he is buried on the 7th June 1916. He was laid to rest, Plot 48 Space 27, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Mr DONALD McLEAN Auxiliary Fireman  Age 31  Died 9.3.1941     SEE – Mr WILLIAM BURRIDGE

Leading Aircraftsman GERALD McELREA, R.A.F.  548268, Leading Aircraftsman, No.930 Balloon Barrage Squadron, Royal Air Force. Age 19 Son of Sarah McElrea, of Antrim, Northern Ireland.  Died 12.8.1940      SEE – Corporal ARTHUR REGINALD OWEN BARRELL, R.A.F.

Rifleman JOHN JOSEPH McCOOL 14424619, Rifleman, 2nd Battalion, Royal Ulster Rifles, 9th Brigade, 3rd Division.  Age 19  Died 22.6.1944

Rifleman JOHN JOSEPH McCOOL, was the son of Margaret McCool and stepson of Mathew McBride, of Townparks, Raphoe, County Donegal, Irish Republic. He was one of the many Irish Republic men who volunteered to fight in the war. He joined the Ulster based regiment, which was destined, to be serve in the British 3rd Division, and who were to assault the D-Day beach, code-named ‘Sword’. The landings went fairly well and despite at one time being pinned down by the German defences, on the beach, and with the tide rising. They eventually managed to dislodge the German’s, to make their way inland. The casualties, securing the ‘Sword’ beach, were not as heavy as some that day, but were still considerable.

The limits of the ‘Sword’ beachhead, extended from Lugrune-sur-Mer in the west to Ouistreham in the east. During D-Day they had to forge inland, to meet up with the elements of the 6th Airborne Forces, namely the unit from the Oxford & Bucks Regiment who so daringly, captured the bridges over the River Orne and the Caen Canal, a few minutes after midnight. In gliders, they had landed just yards away from the bridges, and in a short firefight, had secured the western flank of the invasion area. They managed to link up later that afternoon. This was one of the easier objectives that were fulfilled. The plan was that this force would also move on inland and take the major city of Caen. This objective was, without doubt, more than ambitious. It took nearly two months to liberate Caen. By the time this was accomplished, the town had beenreduced to rubble. It was during the bitter fighting to take Caen, that Rifleman J.J. McCool was wounded on Thursday 22nd June, most probably near the village of Herouville St. Clair, where some of the fiercest fighting took place. Rifleman McCool was placed onboard a hospital ship, to be brought back to this country, but died of his injuries on the way.

Rifleman JOHN JOSEPH McCOOL, was buried on Saturday 24th June 1944, and is laid to rest in the War Graves Section, and is laid to rest, Row 4 Grave 9, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

WERNER MECKLERBECK  Soldier, German Army Born 15.3.1925 Died 9.6.1944  Age 19