War Graves Page 6 (H)

Leading Telegraphist GEORGE HAIR, R.N. J/9972, Leading Telgraphist, Royal Navy, HMS Conquest. Age 21Died 28.3.1916

Leading Telegraphist GEORGE HAIR, Royal Navy. He was serving onboard His Majesties Ship Conquest. The ship was part of the ‘Harwich Force’. Along with the other two light cruisers and twenty-one destroyers, this force, were tasked with patrolling the East Coast of Britain, the patrols were set up to intercept German warships, which made fast attacks, standing off the east coast, they bombarded towns and ports.

On Tuesday 28 March 1916 she was damaged by enemy battle cruisers during a German Navy raid which was carried out off the North Sea coast at Lowestoft, and Yarmouth, Suffolk. The ship made for Harwich Harbour, upon arrival, the casualties were taken ashore. For this harrowing trip, the members of the crew involved in the transfer were granted shore leave. The men enjoyed a night ashore, and when they returning to HMS Conquest, a sudden and freak snow squall, accompanied by a fierce wind occurred, and the boat they were in, swamped and over-turned, ditching the men into the sea. Seventeen sailors and one Royal Marine from H.M.S. Conquest, lost their lives, all being drowned in Harwich Harbour, Essex. The majority were recovered from the sea, and were buried locally. The relatives of those lost were contacted, and George Hair’s parents, Gilbert and Florence Hair of 82 Avenue Road, Gosport, requested that their son be returned to Gosport for burial, which was done.

Leading Telegraphist George Hair was buried at Ann’s Hill Cemetery, Gosport, with full service honours on the 8th April 1916, he is laid to rest, Plot 51 Space 75, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Aircrafstman Class 2 HORACE WILLIAM HALE, R.A.F. 954410, Aircraftsman 2nd Class, No.  930 Balloon Barrage Squadron, Royal Air Force.  Age 21  Son of Thomas G. and Amelia Hale of Basingstoke.     Died 12.8.1940  SEE – Corporal ARTHUR REGINALD OWEN BARRELL, R.A.F.

Flight Sergeant DENIS HALL, R.A.F. Formerly 313295, Flight Sergeant, Royal Air Force  Age 44  Died17.2.1947

Flight Sergeant DENIS HALL, Royal Air Force, was the son of James Hugh and Elizabeth Hall. He was the husband of Anne May Hall, and they lived at No. 27, Russell Street, Gosport. Flight Sergeant Hall passed away on Monday 17th February 1947, at the War Memorial Hospital, Gosport, as a direct result of the treatment he received at the hands of the Japanese, whilst he was a prisoner of war. Like so many others, who had been finally liberated from Japanese camps, he had been repatriated in a very emaciated (grossly under nourished) condition, and who had received hardly any (if at all) medical treatment. Many suffered from tropical deceases. And could not cope with illnesses brought on by winter climate.

Denis Hall was the son of James Hugh and Elizabeth Hall. He married his wife Anne may before the war and they and their family lived at Russell Street, Gosport. Flt. Sgt. Hall survived the war, taking up employment in ‘civvie street’ working at a local garage. He became ill and was admitted to the War Memorial Hospital, Gosport, where he passed away a few days later, as a result of his war service. (ex) Flight Sergeant DENIS HALL, R.A.F., was buried on Thursday 20th February 1947, and was laid to rest, Plot 32 Space 51, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Marine WILLIAM ALFRED HALL, R.M. Formerly PO/X 10978, Marine, Royal Marines.  Age 22  Died 4.2.1945

PO/X 10978, Marine WILLIAM ALFRED HALL, Royal Marines, was the husband of Margaret Annie Mary Hall, and they lived at of No. 40 Welch Road, Gosport. He was medically discharged from the R.M. with Tuberculosis of the lung. He took up the occupation as a taxi driver. He managed to continue in his job until the severe cold weather of the winter of 1945. Suffering from breathing difficulties he was admitted to ‘The Mount Sanatorium’, Bishopstoke, near Eastleigh, for treatment and convalescence. Sadly he died on Sunday 4th February 1945. Brought back to Gosport. Marine WILLIAM ALFRED HALL, R.M., was buried on Thursday 8th February 1945, and is laid to rest, Plot 172 Space 31, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Gunner ERNEST WILLIAM HALLETT, R.A. 867205, Gunner, 215/57 Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery.  Age 25   Son of William Thomas and Susannah Harriet Hallet, of Gosport.  Died 11.3.1941  SEE – Bombardier ALBERT GEORGE ALDRED, R.A.

Flying Officer PETER SAVILLE HANDLEY, R.A.F. 42059, Flying Officer, Royal Air Force.  Age 20  Died 22.5.1941

Flying Officer PETER SAVILL HANDLEY, R.A.F., was found dead in his room at the Officers Quarters at R.A.F. Gosport after a gunshot was heard at 11.35pm on the night of the 22nd of May 1941. At the inquest held five days later, it was established that F/O Handley had been involved in an aircraft crash a couple of days before his death, and that and it was believed, that he would be held liable for the crash. He had been posted to the Gosport air station about a month before his death. Mr. Charles Henry Stevenson, accountant for the Officer’s Mess, said that on Thursday morning he received back from the bank, a cheque, which Handley had made out for his April Mess Bill, it was ‘Insufficient Funds’.

F/O Isaac’s, the station’s Medical Officer stated that F/O Handley was found lying on the floor, a revolver with one round discharged was found at his side. Flight Lieutenant Roy Herbert Mathew’s testified that, he occupied the room below the deceased officer. He had heard a bang like the sound of a door slamming, Declaring there was no evidence to show the state of the dead officer’s mind, at the time of his death. The Coroner for South Hampshire, Major G.H. Warner, returned a verdict of ‘Suicide’

Flying Officer PETER SAVILLE HANDLEY, R.A.F., was buried on Monday 26th May 1941, he was laid to rest in the War Graves Section (see plans on back pages), Row 5 Grave 3, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Corporal CHARLES RONALD  HARRIS, R.E. 518666, Corporal,  1st/6th Hants Electric Light Company, Royal  Engineers. Age  21            Died  6.2.1918

Corporal CHARLES RONALD  HARRIS, Royal Engineers, was the son of Thomas and Amelia Harris, of Dunheved, Cambridge  Road, and Lee-on-the-Solent. He was serving with the  1st/6th Hants Light Company, under the command of the  Royal Engineers. The unit came into being, for the purpose of illuminating the  waters off the coast, in case of enemy raids. As the war progressed, the likes  of these unit’s were used to ‘light up the sky’ in an attempt to pinpoint  firstly Zeppelin airships, and secondly the long range aircraft, which flew over  the Country, to bomb strategic targets.

Corporal Harris, was based  at ‘Blenheim Barracks, Farnborough, Hants, when the need for more cover over the  south coast was required. His unit had been moved to Monckton Hutment’s, at  Clayhall, Gosport. When he became unwell. He  had been manning a searchlight unit at FortMonckton. Out in all weathers, after being  taken ill, he was transferred to his own headquarters at Blenhiem Barracks,  Farnborough. Sapper Harris was found to be suffering from cerebro spinal  meningitis. On the 6th February 1918, he died as a result of  respiratory complications. Corporal CHARLES RONALD HARRIS, R.E. was laid to  rest, on the 9th February 1918, plot 53 space 66, and is commemorated  by a CWG headstone.

Mrs MIRIAM HARRIS 7 Bournemouth Avenue, Gosport  Age 36    Died 10.1.1941        –      SEE – Mr GEORGE THOMAS CAMP

Mr PATRICK EDWARD HARRIS   A.F.S Fireman Despatch Rider  21 Cleveland Road, Gosport   Age 29     Died 24.5.1941

Mr PATRICK EDWARD HARRIS, was the son of Mary and the late John Edward Harris, of No. 21 Cleveland Road, Gosport. He was regularly to be seen riding his motor cycle during his duties as a despatch rider for the Auxiliary Fire Service. The A.F.S. was instituted at the start of the war, to supplement the National Fire Service, which, it was known would be heavily overworked. Mr Harris was also a trained and experienced fireman. On the 24th of May 1941, Mr Harris was called to Cams Alders, at Fareham. The A.F.S. unit he was with were dealing with a fire started by an incendiary bomb. Another air raid followed the first. Out in the open with no shelter, the fireman continued to bring the fire under control, Bombs were dropping, and shrapnel was falling from exploding bombs and anti aircraft shells. Mr Harris was struck by a large piece of shrapnel from a German bomb. He was mortally wounded. An ambulance was called, but Mr Harris died before the vehicle arrived. Mr PATRICK EDWARD HARRIS, of the A.F.S., was buried on the 29th of May 1941, and is laid to rest, Plot 68 Space 27, and is commemorated by a Family Memorial headstone.

Lieutenant CUTHBERT HARRISON, R.A.F. 2nd Lieutenant, No. 186 Squadron, Royal Air Force   Age 26  Died 3.5.1919

Lieutenant CUTHBERT HARRISON, Royal Air Force, joined the Royal Navy in 1908; he transferred to the R N Air Service, becoming a member of the inaugurated Royal Air Force when the other two services were merged in 1918. He was 26 years of age and came from Hull, Yorkshire. During the 1914-18 war, he rendered yeoman service enduring the dangers of patrolling off the East Coast of England on anti-submarine duties.

On the 3rd of May 1919, Lt. Harrison took off in a Sopwith Cuckoo aeroplane, along with a Lt. G.R. Edwards. They were to practice formation flying, Having climbed to a height of four thousand feet, Lt. Edwards, testified later that Lt. Harrison’s aeroplane entered a flat spin. Almost at once came out of it, by this time the aircraft had then descended to two thousand feet. He settled back in formation with the other aircraft and the practice continued. Lt. Harrison’s machine, then made a steep turn to the right, this lasted longer than the first. Once again Lt. Edwards manoeuvred to join the other aircraft, the height now being one thousand feet, at this point he decided to land, Lt. Harrison continued to circle the aerodrome.

Whilst taxiing towards the hangars, Lt. Edwards watched, as Lt. Harrison made very steep turns, the nose of the aircraft being slightly down. This turn developed into a spin. Lt. Harrison managed to check the spin, but the aeroplane had no altitude left, to complete the manoeuvre, and the machine hit the ground. Upon impact, the petrol tank split, and was ignited by the hot engine. The aeroplane was soon burning fiercely. The flames according to witnesses, rising to more than thirty feet in the air. Assistance was rushed to the site of the crashed aeroplane, which had impacted behind the hangars, onto the railway lines, which passed alongside Fort Grange Aerodrome. They could not get close enough, to rescue the pilot, until the blaze had been extinguished. When it was found, that Lt. Harrison mercifully, had died instantly of a broken neck. His badly burned body was eventually recovered from the wreckage. The inquiry concluded, that his death had been due to an error of judgement, on the part of the pilot, the machine with engine still running, had been airworthy.

Lieutenant CUTHBERT HARRISON, R.A.F., was buried on the 9th May 1919, Plot 51 Space 13, and is commemorated by a Family Memorial headstone

Mr CHARLES JAMES HASTINGS      22 Felix Road, Gosport,       Age 44    Died 12.8.1940                                                                          SEE – Corporal ARTHUR REGINALD OWEN BARRELL, R.A.F.

Private EDWARD HORACE HEATH, HOMEGUARD                    14th Hampshire Battalion, Home Guard   Age 61  Died 17.12.1940

Private EDWARD HORACE HEATH, Home Guard, was a member of the 14th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, Home Guard, and these part time soldiers were not an uncommon sight, being regularly on parade. And guarding vital buildings in the area. But as the Hampshire Telegraph dated 20.12.1940 reads: Gosport Home Guardsmen on parade, was not an uncommon sight to the people of the area. But on this occasion, was tinged with great sadness, as they were doing so, to escort the funeral cortege of one of their comrades in arms. Private Edward Horace Heath, of No. 9 Middlecroft Road, Gosport. Who passed away at his home on Tuesday 17th December 1940.

His own platoon, of the 14th Battalion, under direction Platoon Commander Geddes, turned out in force for the funeral which took place Ann’s Hill Cemetery on Friday, 20th December 1940. The Vicar of Holy Trinity, the Reverend C.L.T. Barclay, who is Chaplain to the Home Guard, conducted the service. Private EDWARD HORACE HEATH, was laid to rest in the War Graves Section (see plans on back pages), Row 2 Grave 13, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Private AMBROSE JAMES HEMMENS  54999953, Private, Border Regiment.  Age 29   Died 12.12.1945

Private AMBROSE JAMES HEMMENS, of the Border Regiment, of No. 42 North St, Gosport. Passed away after being admitted to Park Pruett Hospital, Basingstoke, Hants. He died on Wednesday 12th Dec 1945; the cause was not recorded. Private AMBROSE JAMES HEMMENS, was buried on Saturday 15th December 1945, and is laid to rest, Plot 7, Space 88. A CWG headstone commemorates his final resting-place.

Private ALGERNON HEMMINGS  7446, Private, 1st Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment.  Age 32  Died 15.6.1915

Private ALGERNON HEMMINGS, was serving with the 1st Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment, he died on the 15th June 1915, after being admitted to the County Hospital, York, as a result of war wounds, most probably received in Flanders. Obviously coming from the Gosport area, he was returned to his hometown, Private ALGERNON HEMMINGS, was buried on the 21st of June 1915, and is laid to rest, Plot 47 Space 43, and commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Oberfeldwebel OTTO HENNECKE, German Air Force Oberfeldwebel, German Air Force     Born 20.5.1917    Died 26.8.1940    Age 23

Oberfeldwebel OTTO HENNECKE, German Air Force, was born on the 20th May 1917. During the Battle of Britain, aged 23, he was serving with 4/KG55. On Monday the 26th of August 1940, Hennecke’s Heinkel He 111P aircraft (2165) was part of a large formation of bombers whose target was Portsmouth Dockyard and the surrounding military bases.

Approaching the southwest coast of the Isle of Wight, the formation was engaged by R.A.F. fighters and a running battle continued, as they closed in on their target. The Squadrons of No. 238 based at Chilbolton and No. 145 based at Tangmere, pressed home their attack. An unidentified Hurricane of one of these squadrons shot down Otto Hennecke’s Heinkel, G1+GM. Whilst it was attempting to run for its home base in Northern France. Having dropped its bomb load, the aircraft did not explode on impact with the ground. Otto Hennecke baled out of the stricken bomber over Gosport. Shortly before the aircraft crash-landed at North Brook Farm, Waterlooville at 4.45pm. He had left it too late, jumping at insufficient height, his parachute did not have time to fully open, and he fell to his death. The other members of the crew, Lt. Walter, Uffz Schufft, Uffz Marmer and Flgr Wimmer survived the crash-landing and were taken prisoner, surviving the war.

Oberfeldwebel OTTO HENNECKE, German Air Force, was buried on Thursday 29th August 1940, and is laid to rest in the War Graves Section, (see plans on back pages), Row 7 Grave 5, commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Able Seaman WILLIAM HENRY HIGGS, R.N. P/J 27922, Able Seaman, Royal Navy, HMS Victory.  Age 47   Died 5.2.1945

Able Seaman WILLIAM HENRY HIGGS, was the son of Harry and Emily Higgs. He was the husband of Ellen Higgs, and they lived at No. 17, Albemarle Road, Elson, Gosport. He passed away on Monday 5th of February 1945. The cause was not given, but his death was attributable to war service. Able Seaman WILLIAM HENRY HIGGS, R.N., was buried on Thursday 8th February 1945, and is laid to rest in the War Graves Section (see plans on back pages), Row 6 Grave 9, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Mrs MABEL HILL 76 Avenue Road, Gosport.  Age 56  Died 10.3.1941 SEE – Mr WILLIAM BURRIDGE

Aircraftsman Class 2 RONALD FERGUS HILL, R.A.F. 956396, Aircraftsman 2nd Class, No. 930 Barrage Balloon Squadron, Royal Air Force.  Age 21  Son of William and Eleanor M. Hill, of Northfield, Birmingham.   Died 12.8.1940                                                                     SEE – Corporal ARTHUR REGINALD OWEN BARRELL, R.A.F.

Chief Stoker ALBERT HENRY JOHN HILLYER, R.N.  P/K 55829, Chief Stoker, Royal Navy, HMS Revenge.  Age 43   Died 6.2.1944

Chief Stoker ALBERT HENRY JOHN HILLYER, Royal Navy, was the husband of Alice J. Hillyer, and they lived together at No. 7, Hill Park Road, Gosport. He died on Sunday 6th February 1944, at his home, cause was given, but it is strongly believed his death was as a result of his contracting tuberculosis. Chief Stoker ALBERT HENRY JOHN HILLYER, R.N., was buried on Friday 11th February 1944, Plot 43 Space 89, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Lance Bombardier, HORACE JAMES HOBSON R.A   871164, Lance Bombardier, 215/57, Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery. Age 19  Son of George Henry and Kathleen Agnes Hobson of Cowes, Isle of Wight Died 12.3.1941   SEE – Bombardier ALBERT GEORGE ALDRED, R.A.

HEINRICH HOECK  Soldier, N13548/47/T, German Army                    Born 29.11.1919  Died 9.6.1944   Age 23

HEINRICH HOECK was seriously wounded, in the fighting, which resulted from the allied landings of D-Day. He was treated in one of the Emergency casualty Clearing Station’s set up for that purpose. He died of his wounds, on the 9th June 1944, on the voyage to this country. HEINRICH HOECK, was buried on Monday 12th June 1944 in the German Plot of the War Graves Section, Row 4 Grave 4, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Corporal REGINALD WALTER HOLLISTER, R.A.F.    511553, Corporal, Royal Air Force, No. 912 Barrage Balloon Squadron. Age 29 Died 12.8.1940                                                                                            SEE – Corporal ARTHUR REGINALD OWEN BARRELL R.A.F.

Private FREDERICK WILLIAM HORTON  5115391, Private, Royal Warwickshire Reg, 185th Brigade, XXX Corps. Age 24   Died 6.6.1944

Private FREDERICK WILLIAM HORTON, was the son of James Edward and Florence Alberta Horton of Birmingham, Warwickshire. He was killed in the first wave of Assault Groups, which landed on D-Day. Their objective was code-named ‘Gold Beach’, its limits being from Port-en-Bessin in the west to just past Mont Fleury in the east. These very brave men had to storm ashore from landing craft, which had been subjected to shellfire, on the run in to the shore. Upon reaching the beach, they had to contend with the obstacles erected to stop the landing craft, upon which were contact mines that would explode on contact.

Having survived, there remained the rush across the beach itself. This area of was under withering fire from fortified bunkers, containing machine gun nest. Like all the beaches on that day, the casualty rates were heavy. Many young men were cut down before they put foot on the mainland. Private Horton did make it ashore, and was one of those hit and wounded. When medic’s managed to get to him, they found he was still alive, barely. Stretcher-bearers, ignoring the flying lead, brought back the wounded. Private Horton was taken out to a hospital ship, where he underwent emergency surgery. Despite the intense efforts, Private Horton died the same day, of the serious wounds he had received, whilst on oyage back to this country.

Private FREDERICK WILLIAM HORTON, was buried on Monday 12th June 1944, in the War Graves Section (see plans on back pages), Row 4 Grave 13, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

HUBART Lance Corporal, 4th Panzer Regiment, German Army.          Age unknown  Died 3.7.1944

Lance Corporal HUBART, died on Monday 3rd July 1944, at the Royal Naval Hospital, Gosport, of war wounds, which were received military operations overseas. Lance Corporal HUBART, was buried in the German Plot of the War Graves Section (see plans on back pages), Row 3 Grave 3, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Private WILLIAM HUGGINS, R.M.L.I. PO/12926, Private, Royal Marine Light Infantry, HMS Vindictive. Age 33 Died 23.4.1918

Private WILLIAM HUGGINS, Royal Marine Light Infantry, was the son of William and Elizabeth Huggins, who lived at No. 15 Ferrol Road, Gosport. He was born at Egham in Surrey. The port of Zebrugge, was a main base for the fleets of ‘U-boats’ – German submarines. These U-boats, were causing mayhem in the Atlantic, off the coast of Ireland, sinking a large tonnage of merchant shipping, which caused the colossal totals of human lives lost. At the admiralty, a plan was evolved, to launch a combined air and sea assault on the port. The object was to destroy, incapacitate or strand the U-boats and wreck the port facilities, capable of repairing and maintaining.

A plan to push land forces forward, to overrun the port had not been possible, the defending Germans, putting up a tremendous fight, so that idea was shelved. Next it was found that an attack by aircraft was not possible owing to the distance the aircraft would have to travel, and that there were no aircraft available with that range. So once again the plan changed. Finally, it was decided that an assault would be made by initial bombardment from cruisers followed up by an amphibious assault by Marines. On the night of the 23rd April 1918, under the light of a full moon, the cruiser HMS Vindictive closed on the shore, under the cover of a smokescreen. Just at the vital moment, a land breeze blew the smokescreen away, and the shore defences opened up on the now exposed cruiser. She sustained severe damage, although she did in return, put up a brief bombardment. In the action she was unable to position herself in the correct place, and was unable to support the landing forces.

Blockship’s (expendable vessels) filled with concrete, were supposed to open their seacocks, so that they sank to the seabed. They were not able to position themselves correctly, and were unsuccessful in blocking the main channel, which allowed the port to be used. One submarine was able to blast a large hole in the port’s viaduct, but the end result was that the attack, which had cost over 500 casualties, was only marginally successful. The port was back in full use within a month. Back in this Country however, the result was seen as a tremendous victory, and morale both in the forces and in the civilian population was considerably improved. HMS Vindictive, was so badly damaged, that se had to be towed back to this country. Amongst those who had been killed aboard the cruiser, was Private Huggins, who had been manning one of the guns.

Private WILLIAM HUGGINS, R.M.L.I., was returned to Gosport, where he was buried on the 30th April 1918, and was laid to rest, Plot 38 Space 32, and is commemorated a CWG headstone.

Sergeant  ALBERT ERNEST HUGHES, R.A.F. 353261, Sergeant, No. 3 Mechanical Transport Co., Royal Air Force. Age 38 Died 1.10.1943

Sergeant ALBERT ERNEST HUGHES, Royal Air Force, was the son of George and Amy Caroline Hughes, who lived in Gosport. He was serving with the No. 3 Mechanical Transport Company in Kent, his home address was 29 Station Road, Gosport, and he was the son of George and Amy Caroline Hughes, aged 38. He became ill during his work, much of his time, being spent under temporary canvas accommodation, he was admitted with a high temperature, and was diagnosed as suffering from tuberculosis of the lung. Sadly he died in the County Hospital, Orpington, Kent, on Friday 1st of October 1943. After his return to Gosport, his home town, Sergeant ALBERT ERNEST HUGHES, R.A.F., was buried on 6th October 1943, in the War Graves Section (see plans on back pages), Row 4 Grave 8, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Sapper WILLIAM FREDERICK JOHN HUNT, R.E.14627887, Sapper, Royal Engineers, 51st Division, XXX Corps Age 42 Died 8.1.1945

Sapper WILLIAM FREDERICK JOHN HUNT, Royal Engineers, was the husband of Edith Mary Hunt, of Gosport. He was wounded during the allied liberation of Europe. Like so many others, he was given immediate medical attention at a Casualty Clearing Station, where he was patched up for transfer to a hospital ship, for onward transfer to the first hospital facilities once back in this country. Arriving at Portsmouth Harbour, Sapper Hunt, was admitted to the Royal Naval Hospital, at Haslar, Gosport. He survived the surgery performed to remove shrapnel from his stomach. Sadly however he died from complications to his condition on Monday 8th January 1945.

Sapper WILLIAM FREDERICK JOHN HUNT, R.E., was buried on Monday 11th January 1945, in the War Graves Section (see plans on back pages), Row 6 Grave 8, and is commemorated by a CWG headstone.

Mrs KATHLEEN MAY HUNT – Mr DAVID JAMES HUNT   Master ALFRED JOHN HUNT – Master ROY HUNT 135 Forton Road, Gosport, Ages 45, 18, 15 & 11 – Died 5.12.1940      SEE – Mr WILLIAM HENRY CHARLES CANDY

Captain JOHN BARZILLAI HURST, M.N. Captain, Merchant Navy Age 54  –  Died 27.4.1941

On the night of Sunday 27th April 1941, the darkening skies heralded yet another air raid on the Gosport area. The main attack was targeting the Portsmouth Dockyard area. During the intense air raid, besides the high explosive and incendiary bombs, parachute mines were also dropped. These huge explosive devices were much feared, and rightly so. Descending under a parachute, they gently floated down, and were rigged to explode above ground level. This caused a huge blast wave, which brought about large-scale devastation and damage.

Captain JOHN BARZILLAI HURST, (54), a Captain in the Merchant navy, was staying at the popular ‘Madden’s Hotel, Landport, whilst he rested awaiting his next command. A parachute mine came down directly on the hotel. The building crumpled to the ground, those inside, stood no chance, as tone of debris crushed them. The area around the hotel, was also badly damaged. The rescue service’s had a terrible job of retrieving the bodies of the dead from under the mountain of debris marking the spot. Twenty-eight people in the hotel were killed outright. Elsewhere a further one hundred people were killed, and 275 injured, and that was just the figures for Portsmouth.

Captain JOHN BARZILLAI HURST, M.N., was buried on Monday 5th May 1941, and is laid to rest, Plot 32 Space 58, and his final resting place is marked by Family Memorial.

Private THOMAS HUTCHINSON, R.M.L.I. PO/21149, Private, Royal Marine Light Infantry. Age 55  Died 8.4.1920

Private THOMAS HUTCHINSON, Royal Marine Light Infantry, was the son of George and Thirza Hutchinson, of Nottingham. He was the husband of Emily R., and they lived together in married quarters at No. 33 Durham Street, Gosport. Private Hutchinson, had been wounded during the First World War, he had been hospitalised, when he was returned to this country. He had been riddled with shrapnel, and although many pieces had been removed, there were some which had to be left, as they to close to his vital organs. It as a result of this, that he continued to be in pain. He was admitted in April 1920, to the Royal Naval Hospital at Haslar, Gosport, for further surgery, on the 8th he passed away, as complications set in after surgery.

Private THOMAS HUTCHINSON, R.M.L.I., was buried on the 13th April 1920, and is laid to rest, Plot 69 Space 47, and is commemorated by CWG headstone.

Pilot Officer REGINALD CLAUDE HYETT, R.A.F 44539, Pilot Officer No. 93 Squadron, Royal Air Force. Age 29   Died 23.2.1941

Pilot Officer REGINALD CLAUDE HYETT, Royal Air Force, was the son of Arthur Henry and Eleanor Hyett of Gosport. He was married to Bertha Hyett, and they lived at No. 23, Newlands Avenue, Gosport. Aged 29, Pilot Officer Hyett was serving with No. 93 Squadron part of No. 10 Group, Fighter Command.

On Sunday 23rd of February 1941, P/O Hyett took off for a routine flight, he was flying a Douglas Havoc Mk 2 aircraft, Reg. No. AX915, the time was 11.20am; he was the sole person aboard. The weather was cloudy and typical of a late February morning, it was thought that it was these conditions which led to the aircraft becoming lost, eventually flying into a barrage balloon cable, part of the anti-aircraft defences of the important railway town of Crewe. The aircraft having collided with the heavy cable crashed to the ground, falling in the grounds of Gresty Road Lodge, near Shavington, Crewe.  Although after colliding with the barrage balloon cable and the subsequent crash, the aircraft did not catch fire, and local people rushing to the scene, hoping to help the crew, P/O Hyett was removed from the wreckage of his twin-engine fighter, but was sadly found to be dead.

Pilot Officer REGINALD CLAUDE HYETT, R.A.F., was buried on Tuesday 26th February 1941, and is laid to rest, Plot 40 Grave 82, a Family Memorial headstone commemorates him.